Metro Manila can expect a very busy week due to the upcoming Philippine national elections and several road improvements around the city.
13th Philippine Food Expo
Philippine food products and industry is at center stage at the SMX Convention Center, Manila this weekend.
Photo from Bahaghari Global Food Inc.
The 13th Philippine Food Expo will be on May 6 to 8, 2016 at SMX Convention Center, SMX Manila, Seashell Lane, Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City. The Expo intends to showcase the country’s export quality food products as well as the emerging trends in the Philippine Food & Beverage industry this year. Event hours are from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
ELECTION CAMPAIGN UPDATES
The last stretch of the campaign period will continue to keep the city streets busy and colorful with campaign caravans.
Photo from GMA News
The official campaign period for the national and local elections will end on Saturday, May 7. Election Day is on Monday, May 9, from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM nationwide. The Number Coding Scheme will be suspended in all Metro Manila cities and municipalities on that day, which has been declared a special non-working holiday.
WATER SERVICE INTERRUPTION
Rehabilitation works on the water system of Muntinlupa will result in water service interruption and inconvenience to residents and travelers around the area.
The Maynilad Water Services, Inc. has announced that there will be water service interruption in the following areas:
• Las Piñas – No water on April 28 to June 30, from 4:00 AM to 12:00 AM (midnight), in Almanza Dos (Ayala Southvale Sonera, BF Almanza, T.S. Cruz Subd., and Versailles Subd).
• Muntinlupa – No water on April 28 to June 30, from 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM, in Alabang, Bayanan, Poblacion, Putatan, and Tunasan.
• Parañaque – Low pressure on April 28 to June 30, from 12:00 PM (noon) to 11:00 PM, in BF Homes, San Antonio, and San Martin de Porres.
Maynilad said that their current rehabilitation works on the Putatan Water Treatment Facility in Muntinlupa will last for two months. Complete details on the areas affected can be found in Maynilad’s official Facebook page.
ROAD NEWS AND TRAFFIC INFORMATION
New MRT Trains
The new trains are expected to provide a better commuting experience for travelers and tourists who will be visiting Manila in the coming months particularly those who will be commuting along Epifanio Delos Santos Avenue (EDSA) from North Avenue, Quezon City to Taft Avenue, Manila.
Photo from PNR, LRT, MRT in the Philippines Facebook page
The Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) announced that the Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT-3) is already able to complete the required test run mileage for its two new light rail vehicles (LRVs) on April 20. The trains are now scheduled to be launched by June 2016 instead of March as initially planned.
New Point-To-Point (P2P) Premium Buses in the South
Travelers and shoppers in the South can take advantage of the new P2P premium bus service route from Alabang to Makati.
Photo courtesy of Official Gazette of the Philippines
The DOTC has also launched a premium bus service to serve commuters in southern Metro Manila and Cavite. Terminals will be at Alabang Town Center (ATC), Ayala Alabang, Muntinlupa and Greenbelt 1, Paseo de Roxas Makati.
Schedule of trips at ATC are from 6:00 AM to 8:30 PM, while trips at Greenbelt 1 are from 7:00 AM to 9:30 PM. Bus departures are in 30-minute intervals.
Road Repairs and Constructions
Road repairs and construction may result in traffic congestions. Motorists are advised to avoid areas with ongoing repairs and to take alternative routes, if possible.
The following areas will undergo road repairs and improvements by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and some private utility companies this week.
• Along C.P. Garcia St. (Intermittent Section), Quezon City until May 6
• A. Bonifacio, Quezon City from Apr. 22 to Oct. 18, 2016 for road repair/reblocking
• Along Balintawak Cloverleaf, Quezon City from Apr. 29 to May 19, 2016 (11:00 PM to 5:00 AM) for scarifying and asphalt overlay work/preventive maintenance
• Along EDSA South Bound, Caloocan City from Apr. 29 to Sep. 25, 2016 for road repair for construction of box culvert
• Along Imelda Avenue, Parañaque City from Apr. 27 to Jun. 25, 2016 for excavation for civil works and horizontal directional drilling
• Villalobos Street and Hidalgo Street, Manila City from Apr. 29 to Sep. 25, 2016 for road repair for flood management services/construction of flood mitigation structures and drainage system
The very warm weather throughout the week will make people outdoors sweat regardless of activity.
Just like the previous week, light rain showers can be expected this week particularly on Monday, May 2, and Thursday, May 5, in some parts of Metro Manila. However, the temperature remains very warm at an average of 36°C (96.8°F) but less humid, so sweat can easily evaporate and help bodies cool down. The public are advised to wear clothing suitable for warm weather and practice precautions to avoid catching illnesses like cough, colds, and flu which are common during days of erratic weather.