Photo courtesy of Joelaldor (own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Built in 1842, the church is among the oldest stone churches in the archipelago. The church was run by the Augustinian Recollect friars during the Spanish era. The parish was given ecclesiastical recognition in 1868 after being given royal approval on November 1868. The Sta. Monica Church was declared an Important Cultural Property by the National Museum of the Philippines in 2013. On August 27, 2014, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines unveiled a historical marker in the church.